About Charlie Thomason
My name is Charlie Thomason and I'm a Software Engineer and Artist living in Chicago, Illinois. I love auto racing, movies, traveling, birds, and playing guitar and piano. This website features some of my best paintings and photography, web development demos, and a blog.
I was born in Red Bank, New Jersey in 1984, went to high school & college in Kentucky, and moved to Chicago in 2008. I currently live in the South Loop neighborhood of Chicago with my wife, Amanda, and our 2 cats, Baxter and Chloe.
I've always been a visually creative person, and earned my Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art Studio from the University of Kentucky in 2007. Today, I still do art as a hobby, and enjoy working with watercolors, ink, and photography. In December 2016, I self-published a book of paintings of birds found in Chicago entitled Birds of Chicagoland: Paintings by Charlie Thomason. Other subject matters I enjoy painting include movies, history, and auto racing.
Some fun facts about me:
- I met my wife, Amanda, at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. We returned to the festival again in 2010, 2011, and 2015. We got engaged while at the 2015 festival.
- I am a Catholic, and member at Old St. Pat's, which is where my wife and I were married in July 2016.
- I love auto racing, and have attended numerous race events. I am a fan of the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 team, Penske IndyCar & NASCAR teams, and Wood Brothers Racing NASCAR team. I also follow Formula E and IMSA racing.
- My favorite movies are The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Tim Burton's Beetlejuice (1988), and The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971).
- My favorite bands/musical artists are The Beatles, Nirvana, Tom Waits, and Metallica.
- My favorite books are J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Stephen King's Christine, Michael Crichton's Timeline, Richard J. King's The Devil's Cormorant, and Helen Macdonald's H is for Hawk.
- My favorite places in the world are Venice, Italy and Emerald Isle, North Carolina.
About this website
This entire website is intended to serve as an example of my front-end web development skills. Everything on this site I designed and built from scratch (with the exception of some elements in the 'Code' section demos). The content is all static HTML, built using Handlebars, Assemble, Grunt, and Sass. The main site is hosted with Github Pages, and the blog is hosted on Tumblr using a custom Tumblr theme. If you want to see more of how the site is built, feel free to view the source code for this website.
thomason [dot] charlie [at] gmail [dot] com